Hey, it's Coach again. If there's one thing you'll notice about me, it's that I like to depart from conventional wisdom often. In this case, I am unaware of any college coaches who have let recruits see into who they are and why they coach. Which is bizarre. I think authenticity and vulnerability is the foundation to any relationship, especially between a student-athlete and her coach.
WHO I AM, SHORT VERSION
Born in Michigan in the late 1980's. Grew up addicted to hockey, but eventually traded a hockey stick and a tennis racquet for a lacrosse stick. Emailed PBA's men's coach in high school, signing it "The Future of PBA Lacrosse." Totally prophetic, right? Got to PBA, was a three-year captain and studied entrepreneurship. Launched a couple magazines after college. Continued coaching all the while. Jumped at the opportunity to start our women's program and now here we are.
WHY I COACH
I'm in this to see lives changed for the better. I love helping people catch the vision that has been placed on their hearts. We're all here for a purpose. I love asking questions and helping people figure out why they've been put on this earth.
I remember when I got to college. I didn't know what I believed or why I believed it, but there were coaches that cared to see me through it. They existed to add value to my life and show me the path to walk on. I sincerely believe that these coaches saved my life and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to replicate that in every student-athlete I coach.
I believe in an environment of trust, because trust creates freedom and freedom creates peace. Peace is literally the word shalom. In Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary, it says the following:
07965 shaw-lome; safe, well, happy, friendly; health, prosperity, peace, well.
If our covenant with God is all of the above, we want our relationship with student-athletes to reflect the very same thing. When God is present, his atmosphere is charged with shalom. An athletic atmosphere without shalom is not favorable to changing lives, so I will vigorously protect that.
While on the subject of environment: Lacrosse is and should be fun. We will attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind; an enthusiasm that supports our mission: to become better in every way, every day. I want to lead with enthusiastic coaches and I want to be around enthusiastic student-athletes. Positive energy is contagious.
10 RANDOM FACTS
- I love to travel and I thrive off of energy. Visiting New York City is my favorite because I feel instantly refueled.
- I flip over bicycle handlebars often and gracefully.
- I'm a big fan of deadlifts. #Crossfit
- I have an uncanny ability to throw trash into garbage cans from far distances.
- Writing is a huge part of my life (read my blog here). I have a coaching book inside of me that will turn into a real book within 2-4 years.
- I consume more Starbucks Iced Peach Green Tea Lemonades than the entire nation of Tuvalu.
- My favorite bible verse is Joel 2:28... "Then, after doing all those things, I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your old men will dream dreams, and your young men will see visions."
- I am a brand geek. I love brands like Shinola, JetBlue, and VW.
- Drake is the best artist of all-time. Feel free to debate me on this.
- I built this website. #ThankYouMarketingBackground
A FINAL WORD OF ADVICE
If all else fails, go with your gut. As Shakespeare said, 'be a willing fool.'